Friday, April 9, 2010

Tofu and Broccoli (Spicy!!) Fried Rice


I'll admit it, I am a Martha Rose Schulman groupie. Who the F is that you ask? Well she writes a column in the NY Times and her recipes are always healthy and tasty and often vegetarian (Yay!). I used her Broccoli fried rice recipe as an inspiration for my dinner tonight. I think I may have actually converted my carnivorous brother to tofu by covering it in egg and soy sauce :)

I made this in a large wok which is a bad idea when cooking for one because you cook way too much. Suffice to say that I ate every last bite :)

Basically I stir fried 1/3rd an onion, an insane amount of chopped red chilli, 2 cloves of garlic and an inch of ginger (I made a paste of the garlic and ginger using our mortar and pestle). Then I added broccoli florets, mushrooms and thinly sliced tofu until they were cooked through. I then added left over brown rice and a splash of soy sauce and dark sesame oil. If you have hoisin in the pantry this would be a good time to use it. Unfortunately I'm all out of Hoisin today.

When the rice was moist I made a space in the middle of the rice and cracked an egg in it and stired it around until it was cooked then mixed it through the rest of the rice. I then finished it up with a few grinds of cracked pepper and a handful of scallions.

A one pot (wok) meal - Bliss :)

1 comment:

ciaoamy said...

YUM! I can't wait to try this next week. Thanks for posting!