Sunday, June 24, 2012

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles

We got a waffle iron as an early wedding gift. I am obsessed with it. I have made waffles every weekend since we got in. In fact, I think I want to marry my waffle maker. I have been using a standard buttermilk waffle recipe but I have decided to try to incorporate more whole grain flours into my baking. So here is the the recipe for my whole what waffle. They were fantastic served with maple syrup, toasted walnuts and bananas. Also, they are tasty cold out of the fridge. Or, if you wanted to go really bonkers serve them with fried chicken!

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour (I used Bobs Red Mill)
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups buttermilk
4 tsp melted butter (or flavorless vegetable oil)

Method:

In a large bowl mix together first 5 ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together remaining ingredients. Comine wet and dry ingredients and stir well. The mixture will be slightly lumpy. Rest for 2-3 minutes while the waffle iron heats up.

Brush waffle iron with melted butter or oil (I use a silicone pastry brush), pour on 3/4 cup of batter and cook until golden brown and your house smells like a bakery.

Serve with Maple syrup. Enjoy your food coma!!


No comments: