Friday, April 10, 2015

Cardamom-Apricot Macaroons for Passover


These were a huge hit and might be the simplest dessert I have ever taken to a party! I adapted the recipe from Leites. I didn't dunk them in chocolate but I assume that would only make them better :)

Ingredients:
1 14 oz bag of sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
4-6 cardamom pods, seeds crushed into a powder (I used a mortar and pestle)
1/4 cup dried apricots cut into tiny pieces

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 350F
2) Mix everything together in a bowl and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. I found this allowed the egg white to soak into the coconut a bit more
3) Using a 2 tablespoon ice cream scoop, place tightly packed mounds on a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper
4) Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on how golden brown you want them. Watch them closely after 15 minutes
5) Cool on a wire rack and try not to eat four at one sitting

What's not to love about a Jewish holiday? :)

No comments: